From time to time I am asked to recommend a book or to suggest a resource. Here’s my best of list. These are suggestions for people who are wanting to dig deeper into study. I am a big fan of the following. Most of the titles below are linked directly to Amazon so you can purchase them.
I hope this is helpful!
Web / Computer Resources
- Logos for Mac // I have used my fair share of bible study programs over the years. Logos for mac is the best of them all. My suggestion is to start with one of the less expensive library options and then add resources piece by piece. I started with the scholar’s library, which is probably a bit too much for the casual bible study person. Over the years I have added Edersheim, Piper, Wright, and many others too the mix. Only downside is how deep the rabbit hole goes, you can get lost in study for days with all the resources. I use Logos almost daily!
- Christian Classics Ethereal Library // This is a free resource maintained by Calvin College. The amount of available free resources is mind blowing. Did I mention free? The search engine is a bit clunky but the extensive library is well worth the hassle.
- Monergism // This is one of my new favorites. Monergism is more of a search engine of sorts. More often than not when you search for a topic it will direct you to a third party where you can read an article or listen to a sermon. I have found hundreds of fantastic sermons & articles through the Monergism site.
- Porterbrook Community // We are in the process of rolling out Porterbrook with our church planters and Missional Community leaders. Porterbrook is an on-line seminary that offers a three year seminary track as well as continuing education classes. You can sign up and take one class or start a journey through seminary.
Commentary / Historical References
- Alfred Edersheim, The Temple: its Ministry and Services as they were in the Time of Jesus Christ & The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah
- Ray Vanderlaan, Follow the Rabbi
- Shane Willard Ministries
- NT Wright, The New Testament and the People of God: Christian Origins and the Question of God, Volume 1. & The Resurrection of the Son of God: Christian Origins and the Question of God, Volume 3.
- Warren Wiersbe, Expository Outlines on the New Testament
Books You Need to Read
- Leading Kingdom Movements, Mike Breen
- Desiring The Kingdom, JKA Smith
- The Call of Jesus (kindle only), Derek Worthington
- Practicing the Presence of God, Brother Lawrence
- Center Church, Timothy Keller
- Abraham Kuyper: A Short & Personal Introduction, Richard J. Mouw
- Divine Conspiracy, Dallas Willard
- Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster
- Ragamuffin Gospel, Brennan Manning
- Missional Church, Darrel Guder
- Unfinished Business, Greg Ogden
- Desiring God, John Piper
- The Pursuit of God, A.W. Tozer
- Life Together, Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Ancient Future Faith, Robert Webber
- The Prophetic Imagination, Walter Brueggemann
At the end of the day trust the Spirit as He leads you through the Scripture. Each of these resources were created by people who did exactly that. They may be smarter than you and I but it’s the same Spirit who gives sight to those of us who are blind!